View Single Post
Old 21.01.2015, 19:16

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fish&Chips has earned some respectFish&Chips has earned some respect
Re: Thinking about moving to England - where would you live (or not live!) and why??

Hmmm - I often ponder the same thing - we've been overseas for 20 years now (our son lives in the US and daughter lives on the Isle of Wight). We still have our little house in a commuter village in south west Essex which we've rented out for all these years (originally it was supposed to be an expat posting for 12-18 months and we still haven't gone home lol!).

The Guardian newspaper runs a series on 'Let's Move To......' which has been ongoing for a few years now, covers most if not all of the regions of the UK and is worth taking a look at:

http://www.theguardian.com/money/series/letsmoveto (350 results!!!)

If money were no object I'd love to live in the Cotswolds as it is so easy to get to Oxford and London for the 'big city' cultural fix. However on trips back to the UK in the last 3 or 4 years I've had short stays on the coast in north Norfolk, a stable conversion near Dartmouth, Devon and a week in a flat (originally a huge house) in Buxton, Derbyshire (a lovely Spa town, large well kept houses - I saw no litter or graffiti, very inexpensive and beautiful parks and countryside...it is the Peak District of course.

I greatly enjoyed exploring the local areas and obviously the further you are from London commuters and 'weekenders' with second homes the more bang for your buck with property prices. If you need to be near London for work (especially if just for a couple of days a week) then Thaxted in Essex is an ancient market town and very nice indeed.

My late parents-in-law lived in Wilmslow, Cheshire (although my spouse and his siblings grew up in Bristol) and it is also an attractive area, apparently the 'stockbroker' belt of the Manchester area....quite a few TV celebs based in Manchester (Granada studios) and football players live around there.