View Single Post
Old 23.01.2015, 11:03
Samaire13's Avatar
Samaire13 Samaire13 is offline
Forum Legend
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CH
Posts: 4,288
Groaned at 111 Times in 90 Posts
Thanked 7,043 Times in 2,691 Posts
Samaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: US Graduate/Aviation/Looking for a training Job

View Post
Wow!, you guys make it seem like it is impossible to make it in Switzerland
That's because it IS close to impossible, at least when it comes to finding a job as a +/- 20-year old non-EU citizen.

have been doing extensive researches on the subject and for a recent graduate like me, I wouldn't need a working visa, but a visa for young workers and its categorized as training.
And where did you do that research exactly? Cause the above is incorrect. You work in Switzerland - you need a work permit. Simple as that. Whether this is a "real" job or a traineeship doesn't matter. The conditions for application might be different, but you absolutely always do need a work permit.

In general, as a recent non-EU graduate you do not meet the criteria to obtain a work permit. To be eligible, you need to be highly qualified, a specialist or a seasoned manager. Also, any company interested in hiring you needs to provide proof that there are no Swiss or EU candidates who could do your job. Needless to say that is impossible to do for almost all jobs.

Medea has already provided the link to exchange programs. As pointed out by 3Wishes, not many employers know about this. However, another similar route is through a designated graduate rotation program, likely to be found in larger corporations. The above rules still apply, but the authorities tend to be a bit more flexible with the "no Swiss/EU candidate" rule. Of course rotation programs are fixed-term, 1-2 years probably, and you might well be facing the same permit issue again after finishing it, as chances are you'd still not be experienced enough to justify your employment. Since you are not interested in staying in Switzerland long-term anyway, I'd consider that route, provided there are even options like that for your field of expertise.

Note that Swiss university students typically study to degree level. Most rotation programs are therefore designed for MA/MS graduates, though you might find one that accepts undergrads as well.

Last edited by Samaire13; 23.01.2015 at 11:30.
Reply With Quote