View Single Post
Old 01.02.2015, 14:55
Moderately Amused

Groaned at 86 Times in 82 Posts
Thanked 18,811 Times in 8,383 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss 'Fish' species racism!

Quote:
View Post
...So much of the fish here is just terrible. Is it rotten? Technically, no. Is it truly fresh? No. Most of what's on display at grocers (including Globus) is just ordinary frozen seafood that they thawed out. (Of course, if it's frozen, which can be good quality, I'd rather thaw it at my convenience, rather than them thawing it and having it sit there going off at the store before you buy it...)...
I think it very much depends on where you buy it. In some stores, the fish in the case has not been deep frozen and thawed. It's been chilled to near-freezing and shipped/kept on ice. You can definitely taste the difference between this fish and the ones that are rock-hard that you pull from the freezer section. Is it fresh-from-the sea? No, but it's still pretty good. Try it yourself sometime. Buy a deep-frozen fish and the same from the fresh case. Cook them at the same time (well, after the frozen one thaws) and in the same way. You'll see they're not the same.

As for fishy smell, I think that's a very personal thing. We've rarely found a fish here to be super smelly. However we always buy and cook the same day. I think some folks pick up fish as part of a weekly shop and don't use it immediately, don't keep it on ice (just chuck in the fridge) thus resulting in the smell.

We eat fish at least once a week. None of our Swiss neighbors or even dinner guests have complained about the fish being smelly.