View Single Post
Old 18.02.2015, 14:55
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 1,697 Times in 861 Posts
eng_ch has a reputation beyond reputeeng_ch has a reputation beyond reputeeng_ch has a reputation beyond reputeeng_ch has a reputation beyond reputeeng_ch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Translation of house purchase contract at Notary Question

Quote:
View Post
Today the estate agent has informed me that we have two options when we go to the notary to sign the contract in a few weeks.

1. Get someone to translate the contract (approx 1kCHF), we sign.
2. Give authority to a German speaker who will sign the contract on our behalf.

Option 2 sounds strange to me and I was wondering if this is normal and if anyone has had a similar experience.
Just for anyone else who might stumble on this, I've experienced both options as the interpreter, the most recent one I worked on had option 2.

Given the length and complexity of these contracts, I'd be really surprised if the translation alone were as little as CHF 1k. You're probably looking at CHF 300-500 for the interpreting for the notary's meeting, depending how long it takes. A package including full translation and interpreting generally comes in around CHF 3-4k. Not much really, considering the amounts of money involved in buying the property, the notary's fees are often more!