View Single Post
Old 27.02.2015, 00:16

Groaned at 99 Times in 61 Posts
Sublime is considered unworthySublime is considered unworthySublime is considered unworthySublime is considered unworthy
Re: International Women's Day: (not) worth celebrating?

Quote:
View Post
You have missed the fundamental point that this day is NOT ABOUT SWITZERLAND, but about gender inequality IN THE WORLD!

There is a reason it is called INTERNATIONAL Women's Day and not SWISS Women's Day.
No it isn't. But i precisely answered OP's original question: "So what's up with that? Why is IWD a non-event for the Swiss?". -qed-

Quote:
View Post
I call it whining because that's what it is. Women are - again, GLOBALLY - not even remotely close to having equal rights to men. I don't care if in individual countries, de-facto equality is achieved or not. This day, this discussion, is not about Switzerland or Europe or any other Western country, it is about large-scale inequality issues that you can choose to ignore all you want and insist on that stupid "poor men"-blablah. That doesn't make them any less of a fact. In the grand scheme of things, women are worth nothing in this world.

But since you and others keep bringing up Switzerland: no, women do not have equal rights to men in this country and no I don't care if men have two or three disadvantages towards twenty, thirty aspects in which women are still at a substantial disadvantage. It goes without saying that it's much better than it used to be, but it is still a far cry from perfect and much of what is going on is lip service rather than anything else. Women's liberation - as every similar type of liberation movement - was and is only possible at the expense of others and that's simply how the world works. Something always has to give. I have never and will never refute that any type of fighting discrimination - be it gender, race, age, religion, whatever - has an inherent risk of turning into bias and discrimination on the other end. I have also never and will never refute that men had to give a little to make women's liberation possible. But at the end of the day, that is a small price to pay for a substantially better outcome for BOTH men and women.
Besides lip service: A lot of words for saying nothing. But what about "to wipe, first of all, in front of your own door!?" ... as we like to say!