View Single Post
Old 25.03.2015, 18:53
Super Moderator

Groaned at 437 Times in 328 Posts
Thanked 21,273 Times in 11,179 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dealer trade in vs private sale

Quote:
View Post
Hi.

I'm in the process of buying a new car and had very much wanted to avoid the hassle of selling my current car privately by doing a part-exchange trade in. However, the dealer is offering me only 5k, and I would like to get an idea of how much more I might *realistically* expect to get from a private sale.

Eurotax valuation is:
Achat/Reprise:CHF 7'757.-
Vente:CHF 10'133 -

The same make/model (Volvo C30) with similar registration date / milage is advertised on autoscout ranging from 9k to 15k.

The car had an expertise 5 months ago and is in good condition.

I'd appreciate any feedback from those familiar with the car market here: is the dealer's offer unreasonably low? Should I to expect to get anywhere near the autoscout advertised prices (which look like mostly sales from garages rather than private individuals) through private sale?
The offer is about what you will get with a private sale on EF if you want to sell within 30 days. Most sellers get 2/3 of their asking prices if they are lucky. With the strengthening of the CHF you may end up with less if you get greedy.

I sold 4 vehicles last year when I left CH, I achieved 30-65% of auto scout advertised prices, sale time took from 4 hours to 6 weeks.