View Single Post
Old 28.03.2015, 21:38
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 147 Times in 85 Posts
Thanked 2,591 Times in 1,109 Posts
Patxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving to Barcelona with kids and dog - tips for the route?

I've done it several times (with kids and dogs). The route shown on googlemaps is pretty much the fastest I've found. Boring drive so best to get it over with quickly. Unless you have time, then there are plenty of nice places to explore if you get off the highway.

Depending on the age of the kids, you could do it in one shot or break it up into two days. When I'm going solo with just the dogs, I'll stay at an Ibis (Montpelier, Beziers, Narbonne or Perpignan). Cheap and easy access. If I'm traveling with the rest of the family, Mercure or Novotel. Still cheap but a bit more comfortable than Ibis and also easy access (usually right next door to the Ibis motels).

Best suggestion which I just recently discovered: Books on tape. The hours fly by if you find a good book to listen to. Another good choice would be the following podcast: This American Life-Serial. When I drove the route at Christmas, I had planned to stop earlier but I kept driving until 1 in the morning as I wanted to keep listening. Made my drive the following day a couple hours shorter.

The biggest challenge will be to keep the kids entertained. Good luck with that.
This user would like to thank Patxi for this useful post: