View Single Post
Old 29.03.2015, 18:01
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
HendrikMDik is considered knowledgeableHendrikMDik is considered knowledgeableHendrikMDik is considered knowledgeable
Re: G'day from a Swiss in Australia

G'Day/Gruezi!
An Aussie from Perth, living in Baden for the last few months...

So far things here have been quite uneventful, life is not hugely different from Aus to CH, the standard of living is very similar (even if there are slight bureaucratic differences between the two countries).

As an Aussie living abroad, the biggest concern (with a small family) is the realisation that with the current economy, losing work could mean losing our roots. That wouldn't be the case so much if we had a permanent visa, but it hangs over us in the back ground a little...Getting established has taken longer than we would have thought, there is a lot of paperwork involved in 'arriving' and we are only just coming to the end of it now after two months.

I do miss the beach occasionally, having 50m swimming pools outdoors that open at 5am (so I can swim on weekdays before my better half goes to work), shopping on weekends, and having a choice of reasonably priced goods (meat is so expensive here).

But those are minor things that are more than made up for the amazing country side, the friendly and polite people, the feeling of safety that is everywhere we have been so far, the wide variety of job prospects and career opportunities, being in the centre of Europe - and all the culture that brings, and the weather (that really is quite good if you like cooler weather and longer summer days).

We love it here and we have no intention of 'going back.'
This user would like to thank HendrikMDik for this useful post: