View Single Post
Old 09.04.2015, 10:43
Forum Legend

Groaned at 240 Times in 203 Posts
Thanked 23,350 Times in 9,927 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Credit Suisse, UK, France & Africa: a modern tale

Quote:
View Post
BTW, I just checked Google. Napoleon Bonaparte's real height was 168 cm. That's shorter than me, but average height for many men, and he's the same height as Winston Churchill. I read that the reason why the myth spread about him being short was that the French inch was longer than the English inch, so when the British heard that the French general was only 5'2", they assumed he must have been short. Instead he would be 5'6" under the British imperial system.

Don't know if all the "short" jokes bothered Napoleon, but I don't think it's a coincidence that the metric system began under his rule...

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....ort-is-a-myth/

Another thing about Napoleon that was supposedly short was his [illegible], anyway we'll never know as his wife is no longer here to tell us. I wonder if that also has to do with measurement units?