View Single Post
Old 20.04.2015, 13:05
Forum Legend

Groaned at 193 Times in 162 Posts
Thanked 4,270 Times in 1,807 Posts
Papa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: paying up front for work

Quote:
View Post
I had the same nonsense more than once in CH, of course most of the people arguing here get a salary paid in full about the 27th month & have never been self employed.
So true. I have been fortunate and only had a couple of non payers, and a couple who tried to haggle the price down after agreeing it, in 6 six years and its is a right royal pain. As are the people who think cancelling at a few days notice, leaving a diary hole that may or may not be filled and the resultant loss of income. I do know of sole traders who have almost gone under as a result, so can understand why a tradesmen would ask for a small element to be paid upfront.

So for every dodgy tradesman there are customers who will knowingly rip off a small trader, but not every person who may ask for a element up front is a rogue. If I were looking for a contractor I would focus on the reliability, honesty, and quality of the work/service he would provide, rather than question the integrity (or implied lack thereof) of a potential tradesman who for whatever reason choses to ask for an element of the agreed price upfront.

Last edited by Papa Goose; 20.04.2015 at 16:11.
The following 2 users would like to thank Papa Goose for this useful post: