View Single Post
Old 04.05.2015, 07:55

Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
bearbadger has earned some respectbearbadger has earned some respect
Re: Questions about everything

Where do you get your hair done? Colored? what about manicures/pedicures. Does anyone do their lashes there?
You will have no trouble finding places to do all these things once you are here. Just be aware that it'll probably cost double what you pay in Texas unless you go to Great Clips and then you are in real trouble!

We heard everything is smaller from the closets to the refrigerators to the living space.
True.

We are hoping to rent a furnished apartment - is this even feasible?
I'm not sure if you can find furnished places or not but check out Homegate.ch to get an idea of what's available.

Are people friendly?
Like everywhere else in the world, some are and some aren't.

Is it community? Neighborly?
It is definitely a community feel here in Switzerland, much like small towns in the US. Depending on your neighbours, you will be welcomed into that or you will be shut out. Learning to speak some German before you arrive will help alot.

What about going to the doctor or dentist? Is this difficult?
Easy and I've found the care here to be amazing. Search the forum to get more specifics but this doesn't need to be a worry.

Where do you meet others?
ZIWA - Zurich International Women's Group is great for the misses if she isn't working. Google it or message me. Meet Ups, Forum activities, church, community activities, Starbucks, work, etc.

Are there churches? If so, what kind?
LOL. Sorry but once you are here you will understand why I laugh. Yes, there are churches. Most towns have several which you will begin to hear probably minutes after arriving.

We are both early 50's and have no kiddos with us...
Any ideas? Input?
On what? traveling? Get a GA (train pass could for everything, everywhere for 1 year) and see all of Switzerland.

Best place to live? Heard trains are loud...would prefer to not have that..but will not complain if we do.
Totally a personal choice. If your place has good windows you might not mind the trains. Being close to a station is great unless you plan to drive everywhere (a whole other can of worms). possible, I'd come over before you move and look for yourself in several different areas. Check bus and train schedules. How close is a grocery store? Depends on where hubby is working, etc.

What about internet...and weather???
Yes, we have both.

Thanks and have an AMAZING week...

Welcome! Enjoy your journey!

Last edited by bearbadger; 04.05.2015 at 08:00. Reason: attempt at colouring my answers malfunctioned
The following 2 users would like to thank bearbadger for this useful post: