View Single Post
Old 04.05.2015, 14:11
Moderately Amused

Groaned at 85 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 18,586 Times in 8,288 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Questions about everything

Welcome to the Forum. It's an exciting and strange adventure to up sticks and move to Switzerland, so just take a deep breath. There's a lot of information here as mentioned above. Search box is in the upper right corner of your screen, and you'll have better luck with a few key words instead of an entire phrase. Also try the advanced and Google-powered searches.

To address a few of your questions with examples

1. I get my hair cut at the local, privately owned hair salon. A haircut for a lady can run from 40-80 Francs, depending on the length of your hair. Wash, dry, and style costs extra. Color starts around 60 and goes up from there. Last time I had the full treatment (cut, color, style) it ran 160 Francs. There are not a lot of chains here, so most places require appointments as opposed to taking walk-ins.

2. Nothing here is Texas-sized. Closets are almost non-existent. Folks here generally use armoires/cabinets. The least expensive ones are probably from IKEA. The fridges here are small, so you may find it helpful to buy a small freezer to keep in your cellar (if there's power). Compared to the U.S. we make more frequent small shops instead of a big weekly shop.

3. Doctor or dentist isn't difficult per se, except the language barrier can be a hassle and the costs can make your eyes water. Many insurance plans require you to pay the bill in full up front and then they reimburse you, so budget for that. Example: A doctor's visit for bronchitis cost me 270 Francs including the tests and medications.

4. Weather is a favorite topic of conversation here. We've got a nice big thread about it too: http://www.englishforum.ch/daily-lif...4-weather.html