View Single Post
Old 11.05.2015, 14:32

Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Caryl has earned the respect of manyCaryl has earned the respect of manyCaryl has earned the respect of many
Re: Advice to all people on shipping parcels to Swiss

I wonder how many trolls have harassed their target person abroad by sending a styrofoam brick (or some other worthless product) and labelling it on the FedEx airwaybill as a $1,000 treasure.

Some years ago I subscribed to a US Lexis CD-ROM service and the first CD arrived with a customs invoice based on the $1,000 annual subscription fee. FedEx went ballistic when I refused the parcel but in the end Lexis told me not to worry: they apparently paid the bill even though the goods were returned, and they re-shipped the first and then sent the subsequent CD-ROMs by mail marked as CD-ROM data hosts without value.

Today of course data services are all online, albeit behind a paywall. But I remember from a university course I took that electricity transmission and imports and transit by pipeline are subject to customs clearance. I know this is a big issue for consumer sales now: ebooks are subject to VAT in Europe whether or not printed books are.