View Single Post
Old 12.05.2015, 22:52
Forum Legend

Groaned at 33 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 5,486 Times in 2,609 Posts
swisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Type 1 Diabetes Support

You are welcome to PM me. Our son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at 6. he's now 13.

"Welcome to the club that no one wishes they belonged to".

I highly recommend you join the diabetes association. Even though the info is all (for us anyway in Zurich) in German, the kids do have a few events including a camp... There is a 'diabetes kids cup' in Bern on the 14th of June. My son is registered to go along... But normally I send him with his dad for those sorts of things.

The kids hospital/endocrinology/diabetes clinic will play a huge role in giving you support you need, and online you should be able to find an internet forum related to your home country that might also help to understand a bit more in your own language...

Generally there is a 'honeymoon' period straight after diagnosis where the sugar numbers etc are not too bad to control and it's mostly adjusting to the shock of having a sick kid, adapting to the idea of having a life-long illness, and dealing with everyone else's opinions, stupid questions and desire to support.

As said, feel free to PM me direct questions...there are at least two other forum members from the past who also have kids with Type 1 Diabetes.
This user would like to thank swisspea for this useful post: