Thread: Car accident
View Single Post
Old 13.05.2015, 19:48
Forum Legend

Groaned at 34 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 10,888 Times in 3,249 Posts
MathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car accident

Quote:
View Post
How did I not see him.... that's easy and something that effects all of us.. you did see him but simply didn't register that he was there. That's the brain works.. you expect to see a car you look for big objects. It's been proved over and over again.

You will see the bike next time.

This human condition is why I ride with super bright LED additional lighting and ride defensively to avoid someone pulling out in front of me.
Alternatively, perhaps she didn't see him in the cycle lane because he wasn't in the cycle lane when she looked.

She says she was looking for cyclists. Cyclists are the same size as motorcyclists so I really doubt that was the issue here. More likely is that he wasn't in the cycle lane yet, was still behind some cars in the car lane, and pulled out (without looking carefully enough himself, apparently) in the moments after she had already made her check and started to merge.