View Single Post
Old 23.05.2015, 22:49
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Knudsen42 has no particular reputation at present
Bringing my Canadian wife... D permit or not?

Congrats Jvi, so glad it worked out for you so quickly! We are also in a similar situation, I am German and currently live with my Canadian wife in Canada. We plan to move to Canton Aargau in August and all of a sudden read this thread and realised she should probably have a D permit (oops!) yet when we phone the Canton office they told us she just needs her ID and our marriage certificate basically... So I am confused!

I guess the difference may be that your wife had a residence permit for Schengen already, maybe?

I'm not sure what we should do now... If we submit the application it may not be ready before we planned to fly over, so would we then delay our flights until we have it? Or fly over and risk being turned away at the border... I realise that arriving with a one-way ticket, a huge mound of luggage, a cat, and a declaration of a sea shipment (container) of household goods, there will be no doubt that we are not coming just as tourists so there's no sense lying about it! Ugh... I think we will apply and just hope it comes in time, but I'm nervous about booking the flights before we have it!

Any other experiences with this? Other Canadians out there, what did you do?