View Single Post
Old 01.06.2015, 10:59
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 34 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,163 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to best change CHF to Euro? Airport or local bank?

Quote:
View Post
Yes, money from ATM has the best rate, and you dont have to carry a wad of cash with you. I just came back from Greece and there were ATMs everywhere!!!
I'd agree, but don't forget the minimum charge on foreign currency withdrawals (check your bank fees).

The rate is normally good/comparable to other small conversion options, but you don't want to be taking out 8x 50 EUR and paying 8x minimum fee, vs say 2x 200 EUR and 2x minimum fee.

Also, if it asks if you want them to convert it to CHF for the payment, effectively that means you pay the FX fees of that bank rather than yours - standing at an ATM chances are you won't know if that's good or bad, so personally I'd stick with paying in EUR and paying the fees to my bank that I've checked (and move bank if it sucks).

Final point - of course all this is talking about DEBIT cards - never ever take out cash on a CREDIT card in any currency unless you like paying fees and interest.