View Single Post
Old 05.06.2008, 17:14
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fatcat66 has made some interesting contributions
Re: Bird watching

Quote:
View Post
Depends on time of year as well. Red Kites (Rotmilan) are present all through the year (although a bit less in the winter), but you also have the smaller Black Kites (Schwarzmilan)who are summer visitors. A similar bird which is less common is the Marsh Harrier (Rohrweihe), which circles a lot (hence the scientific name Circus for the Harrier family). Kites are big birds and quite recognisable; Red kites have deeply forked tail and are monsters, really big; Black Kites also have slightly forked tails and are also fairly big.
Another bird of prey that circles a lot is the Common Buzzard (Mausbussard). The best way to tell this apart is the slight bulge on the inside edge of the wing and the black border to the underside of the wings. As the name suggests, they are quite common - probably more so than the kites.
Hope i'm not being thick but I have a pair of reddish brown big birds with a forked tail and when they are circling (most of the time) they have a "target" on the underside of their wings. I live in the Jura mountains, are these red kites, or eurasian hawks? Your website is lovely, well done, a pleasure to look at