View Single Post
Old 25.06.2015, 07:13

Groaned at 31 Times in 13 Posts
marischi has an excellent reputationmarischi has an excellent reputationmarischi has an excellent reputationmarischi has an excellent reputation
Re: New job in Solothurn...living in Bern?

I'm Swiss (Eastern Parts) and studied in Berne. I was excited to move to the capital. But it was the most tight knit village I ever lived in and I felt like a foreigner. Bernese cling to groups founded in Kindergarten for about their whole life and do not even realize it. My Italian, High German and French improved alot there because all of the foreign students couldn't find Bernese friends so we happily spent time together, swimming in the Aare and generally having fun in the beautiful and pittoresque city and spending hot summer days at the Schwarzwasser and Sense.

Our Bernese mates all had their circles and dind't welcome others in. They didn't even realize how uttterly self-sufficient they were. It's not really meant to be mean or unfriendly, it is just the way it is maybe being scared of non-Bernese since Napoleon robbed them of their gold and status.
After Berne I moved to Manhattan to study and even with not-so-good-English and a rough start, I found very good friends there. Roommates I'm still in contact with who helped me and whom I taught to cook from scratch!

I moved to Berne again a year ago to join my fiancÚ because he found work there and he even grew up in Berne. It was the same story all again, with my job-search, with making friends and so on. And I can even speak the local slow-paced dialect! I could't stand it again - he neither- and we moved back to Zurich where building friendships had been a just lot easier.

Last edited by marischi; 25.06.2015 at 07:25.
This user would like to thank marischi for this useful post: