View Single Post
Old 27.06.2015, 11:06
Forum Legend

Groaned at 52 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 1,173 Times in 733 Posts
HollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputation
Re: New job in Solothurn...living in Bern?

Quote:
View Post
Dear all,

After more than 3 years living and working in Zurich, I will soon start a new job in canton Solothurn

The question now is...where to live? I have been thinking and searching all along the forum and the internet and cannot really decide. So far I am considering the following:

- Living in Solothurn (10 mins by car to work) in a studio or small flat by myself
- Living in Bern in a studio or small flat by myself (some 35 min. to work by car according to google)
- Living in Bern in a shared flat

On one side I value being close to work, but on other I see Bern is a bigger city with more things to do (I am still 28). Another thing I consider is that I travel often (at least once a month) to Spain through Zurich/Basel Fri to Sun/Mon and therefore Bern is further away...

So... what do you think?

I might look for something provisional for the first months, maybe it helps me postpone the decision.

BTW, I have seen that either in BE or SO, the taxes are much higher than in Zurich.

Thanks very much in advance!

You will be much happier in Bern as far as social life goes. Solothurn is
a beautiful small town, but it is dead.

You could live in Olten and commute 30 mins to work. With Olten, there
are great Connections to Basel, Zürich, Bern, and Luzern.
The following 2 users would like to thank HollidayG for this useful post: