View Single Post
Old 15.07.2015, 13:43
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 35 Times in 21 Posts
KiwiSteve has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiSteve has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiSteve has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiSteve has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pharma jobs in Switzerland language requirements

Quote:
View Post
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum. Hoping to get some insights here.

My husband is German living in Canada now. He has been offered a job for CHF115K, with accommodation possibly paid for. First of all, is that a good salary? We have a 3 year old daughter to consider as well if we were to move.

Secondly, I live in Canada and have been in the pharma industry for over 10 year. I am a clinical site monitor here and I know I won't get the same job in Switzerland without speaking either French or German. Would it be very difficult to find an English speaking Job in Switzerland with a pharma company?

This is a really big dilemma for me right now because our marriage is kind of on the line if we don't make the right decision that suits us both.

Thanks for reading!
Hi,
Accommodation is worth 25,000 to 50,000 (and upwards) a year depending on location and expectations, so this is a big deal.
I just got back from six weeks in Montreal. The french/english divide there is very tame compared to the swiss german/french divide here. It is much easier to learn french in the french speaking part of Switzerland than to learn german in a swiss-german speaking part of the country (East of, and including Basel).
School starts at 7yrs and preschool/kindergarden possibilities depend very much on locality. Working mothers are still discouraged, so even with school aged kids, both parents working can be difficult/expensive to organise.
As an experience, Switzerland is great, to put roots down??