View Single Post
Old 06.12.2006, 09:55
Forum Legend

Groaned at 42 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,060 Posts
Lob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: branching out professionally

Quote:
The UK Inland Revenue should be informed that you have left the country and they may take a number of years to grant you 'ordinarily non-resident status'. It took me five years (though as a director in the UK my tax was well inspected). They also expected me to fill in a tax form each year. This is no chore and taxes about 10 minutes. I fealt it may be useful to keep my tax-free allowance. After 14 years here the tax forms final stopped coming from Bootle (the expat tax office)...
interesting; I just phoned up [well, in 1995] the tax office in Reading and told them I was living abroad, gave my address here and quit paying tax (and I'm here slightly less time than you).

I was also director of my limited company - but of course income stopped when I left the country and I filed year-end returns of zero-in, zero-out for that year (and maybe the following one).

Being "out" now as a UK taxpayer means that you have to complete a full tax year out of the country (I believe) before you're given the expat status.