View Single Post
Old 25.07.2015, 10:38
Yezi99 Yezi99 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Geneva
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yezi99 has no particular reputation at present
Re: non EU, Early C permit, Canton Approval, Time for Bern approval ?

View Post
This may answer the L permit question - taken from the main VINTA thread:

"An update on getting earlier C permit for non-EU.

I just found the document from Canton Zurich immigration.

It looks like a new edition. The previous one was slightly different and didn't contain one important point.

The p. 5.1 says: (free translate from German)

Short-term permits i.e. "L" will be accepted if the staying by L permit was based on an unlimited contract. It's not accepted when it was based on a limited contract.

This paragraph was absent in the previous edition.

So I think it's a good change for those who started with an unlimited contract but got an L permit at the beginning then was switched to B. As it's a praxis that I think is used in the canton Zurich there are no restrictions anymore for those who stayed on L permit for first two years."

Early C Permit for a Non-EU National through VINTA

Maverick, a C permit for non-EUs is exactly the same as an EU national's. You can live/work anywhere in Switzerland and yes, providing you meet the other requirements like language proficienty, you can apply for naturalisation in around 10 years' time.

Obviously if you move cantons then yes, you must "update" your C permit with your new address with the cantonal migration office. So in that sense you get a "new" C permit. But you would have to do the same with any other type of permit, even if you just move within the same commune/gemeinde as we did a few years ago. We had to let the migration office know our new address.

Bear in mind that changing cantons will reset your cantonal residency clock as far as gaining citizenship is concerned as each canton has different regulations on the time required to be living there. Geneva only requires 2 years while Vaud requires 5 years.

Under the new law all cantons will require between 2 and 5 years maximum. This is why the new law has been delayed so those cantons with longer periods can bring in their local leglisation to harmonise with the Federal law.
Very useful! Thanks!
Reply With Quote