View Single Post
Old 30.07.2015, 20:21
Forum Legend

Groaned at 34 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 25,432 Times in 7,921 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Incorrectly denied supplementary health insurance - but complex background

I understand the frustration that one can be denied when one is currently healthy, but past illnesses - even if no longer an issue - are part of a risk profile, and sometimes are enough of a reason for some insurers to deny coverage.

One of the reasons I was denied was that I had started early mammogram screening in the US, and continued that once I moved here. Every test was negative, meaning I actually had proof of not being ill - but falling into the broad risk profile that recommended preventative early screening (in the US we do tend to be over cautious wrt to screening) was enough for a rejection.

(Another reason I was denied was my age, I was an ancient crone of 40 at the time. But I suppose that taken all together I presented more of a risk than the insurer wished to take on.)

Basically, if you have a history of illness, or fall into a risk profile, some insurers could deny supplemental coverage.

As s2lemans suggests, try another insurer. However be aware that most ask if you have been denied before.

---

If you are looking for supplemental insurance in order to get better accomodation in a hospital, be aware that you can sometimes pay out of pocket to upgrade accomodation to a semi private or private room. This is subject to availablity, and one can be bumped should a 'real' private patient require the space. But some prefer to do this for a planned hospital stay.

---

So first, try another insurer, see what happens.

Good luck!
The following 2 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post: