View Single Post
Old 05.08.2015, 12:38
Forum Legend

Groaned at 34 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 25,432 Times in 7,921 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zermatt bans use of St Bernhards for Tourist Photos

Quote:
View Post
I had no idea of the photo opps but the whole story is so against what I thought of dog care/conditions in this country.
Sadly, myths abound in Switzerland, one of which is it's commitment to animal welfare.

Switzerland has some of the most progressive animal welfare legislation in Europe on it's books. Unfortunately, they are not always enforced, or only enforced selectively. Although the situation is indeed better than in many other countries - largely because Switzerland is a wealthy country - we still see too much animal abuse here, and it is not unknown that authorities turn a blind eye. It can be an uphill battle to get even the most aggregious offenders punished.

It is as if, having exhausted themselves in the process of getting a law passed, the authorities simply say 'job done, now we can forget the issue'. And life goes on as before.

This situation where laws abound but are not consistently enforced is not limited to animal welfare, it's one of the things I have had a hard time getting my head around here.

ETA:

But to be fair, in this case the authorities have finally taken action, and should be commended for that.

Let's just hope that these dogs' future incluldes a happy, healthy 'atrgerecht' retirement.

Last edited by meloncollie; 05.08.2015 at 13:09.
This user would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post: