View Single Post
Old 12.08.2015, 09:46
Forum Legend

Groaned at 500 Times in 371 Posts
Thanked 12,616 Times in 6,553 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving a WG, what are my rights?

Quote:
View Post
I have no verbal or written contract with the current leaseholder. For whatever reason we never made one. I have contracts with the previous 2 leaseholders but not the current one. I assume those contracts are dissolved once that person cancels their contract with the main leasehold?
AFAIK, cancellation must be in written form, even if there's only a verbal contract.

I think that, since you didn't sign a follow-on contract and the most recent contract you signed with the predecessor presumably never got cancelled, the contract was implicitly taken over by the current leaseholder - he simply replaced his predecessor. This would be supported by unchanged sublease conditions, in particular rent amount and your room and rights.

Other than that, it's correct to say that unfurnished single rooms, especially if you have your own WC, come with a 3 month cancel period. But you can only cancel by the "ortsübliche Kündigungstermin" (default local cancel date?), wich for Zürich are end of march and september. So by that you'd have to pay rent until end of march 2016. Contact your local "Schlichtungsbehörde" to make sure these dates are actually correct, they can be found here (you need to allow popups). Additionally, if the main rent contract comes with more cancel dates, perhaps these apply (this is my personal guess).
This user would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post: