View Single Post
Old 26.08.2015, 15:14
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 249 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 2,158 Times in 997 Posts
J2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond reputeJ2488 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Another great Jeremy Corbyn idea!

Quote:
View Post
Actually the concept was first suggested by Tory Transport Minister Claire Perry in September 2014. It's not a new concept anyway. Japan has had women only carriages for years. Many indoor carparks in Switzerland have some parking places reserved for women near the entrance.

I can see why many women would want this but at the same time what an admission of failure that harrassment is so prevalent that we're at the point of contemplating gender segregation.

I think it would be difficult and costly to enforce though
Thats a good point. Women-only spaces are not exactly unheard of in Europe or even, as you point out, in Switzerland.

I don't think its as much an admission of failure, as it is an appreciation of the severity of the problem. If indeed the problem is as big as its made out to be, it at least offers women, some of who may feel vulnerable, an area where they have some security.

Better overall security/CCTV/more security patrols etc are, of course, even better. However, all of that will take time to implement. women-only carriages can be rolled in in relatively short time, and used until the extra security is in place.

Anyone who went to university will remember the night buses from the union for women - i think its the same principle, except in this case, the student union is replaced with the center of London, and the minibus is a train carriage.

Quote:
View Post
Well, but how about we put things into context:
- these carriages are on some lines of the Tokyo subway, not on normal trains
- If I remember correctly were those carriages only "women only" during the rush hours
- anyone who has never been on the Tokyo subway: it's so cramped during those hours that the operator used to hire "pushers" that would squeeze people in...
- men abusing this situation and groping women and especially high school girls is a widespread issue - as in "the majority of high school aged girls experience it first hand". I don't think the same is true for Switzerland or the UK.

If sexual violence on trains is a topic in the UK should politicians address it. Women only carriages should only be the absolute last resort - at the point where there is no other way of stopping men. And I don't think this is the situation anywhere in the UK or Switzerland.
I think these would be proposed only for the 24h London Tube lines. And, to your point about Tokyo being cramped, i think the expectation is that the night tube will be very busy too. Couple that with the fact that many patrons will have been drinking heavily, and security for women becomes more important.

Quote:
View Post
It's called first class- not open to poor people.
I was waiting for that comment

Quote:
View Post
This was probably a well-intentioned idea but doesn't seem to have been fully thought out.

Proper security in the first place is more important. Whilst most violence towards women may be by men it is not exclusive.

If the person with the gun on the French train had been in a woman only carriage, it is less likely that other women who were in there because they felt vulnerable would have been as able to overpower them. I realise that is a very extreme example but there is generally safety in numbers. Isolating people who feel vulnerable may actually make things worse
Agreed, proper security is better. But, in the absence of the time and money to implement thousands more security guards, and installation of tens of thousands more CCTV, it might not be a bad temporary step.

The example you've used is not a good one, because nobody is suggesting having women-only carriages on such routes. The situation in both cases is very different, and you cant really transpose one on the other. Who's to say, after all, that a woman (or women) couldn't have overpowered him? or that, any other man, could. It was a very unique (and improbable) turn of events, that led to the gunman attacking a carriage containing soldiers.
The following 2 users would like to thank J2488 for this useful post: