View Single Post
Old 09.09.2015, 07:53

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
MitzEclipse has no particular reputation at present
Re: CH Family Reunification Visa for Half EU and Half Non-EU couple for Non-EU mother

Quote:
View Post
MitzEclipse, in my efforts to bring my FIL here (we are all non-EU), and from comparing notes with acquaintances trying to do similar, if I learned anything it's that little seems to be absolute, much seems to be left to local interpretation, and decisions made in one case might be radically different than decisions made in a another.

So the first step is to sit down with the most senior person you can find at your Gemeinde Einwohnerkontrolle. It will be important to get local Powers That Be on your side.* Start by trying to clarify if your MIL falls under EU or non-EU regs.

You, the EU person, should probably initiate that conversation as you are in the stronger position.

Wishing you, your wife, and your MIL all the best.

* In my Gemeinde, 'getting Powers That Be on your side' often includes looking at the request from the vantage point of 'How will the Gemeinde/Canton/Switzerland benefit?' rather than from a stance that stresses the needs of the applicant. BUT as above, local attitudes differ, I know of one person, different canton, who was successful by basing the application largely on compassionate grounds. So YMMV, etc., usw.
Many thanks meloncollie for the response - I'll sit down with the Gemeinde Einwohnerkontrolle when/if we're ready - right now just thinking of longer term options in the future. Cheers