View Single Post
Old 09.09.2015, 08:51
Forum Legend

Groaned at 404 Times in 313 Posts
Thanked 16,994 Times in 9,570 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can I open a bank account from abroad?

Quote:
View Post
That contradicts what the PDF says though - how come the info is contradicting, which is correct?

Well, if it's absolutely necessary, I could show up, I'd just prefer to not spend 200eu or so on tickets.

As for being tracked from a Swiss bank, I may actually be wrong, so do correct me if I am. I'm going to clarify for that reason: what I meant by not being tracked is that, while everything would still be logged in the bank history, nobody would be able to pretty much click a button and see what's on the bank statement. So even if I use ATMs and that's in the bank log for my account - it's just for me to see. When using my credit card, of course the other party will be able to see that I did so, but nobody goes through Ebay or Amazon logs in that way. By the way, by credit cards I mean debit cards that you can use to make purchases online.

In short, my concern is that I feel unsafe, which means I feel bad mentally about doing anything with my credit card or bank account. Since then, I'm only using cash because I just simply do not feel safe - all someone needs to do is click a button and they can see my bank history. So I just want to feel at peace and not feel like someone can access very personal data so easily.
Debit cards are not so widely used online and Swiss ones are even less likely to be accepted outside of the country.

I think you're being a bit paranoid over a story you've read - which doesn't make that much sense really. It's easy enough to do money transfers using a company like Western Union and you never explained where she got the money she sent in the first place. If she got it from another relative, why didn't they send the money directly from their own account rather than asking her?

But if you're that worried keep paying everything with cash and don't buy online, simple.