View Single Post
Old 09.09.2015, 10:23
Forum Legend

Groaned at 404 Times in 313 Posts
Thanked 17,020 Times in 9,582 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can I open a bank account from abroad?

Quote:
View Post
Mainly there's MasterCard and Visa debit cards, which you can use pretty much everywhere online and offline. I'm yet to encounter a single issue with that. But perhaps they are not called debit cards technically? I'm not sure. I always call them credit cards, but credit cards means 'loaning' money, which is not how my debit card works. Anyway, I hope I cleared that up.

It's not a story I read, it's a story I heard from a guy who I actually do trust (I don't trust many people). And people in my country aren't so... Educated, let's call it. So they don't really know about such things as Western Union and all that, the woman thought she can just send it in a letter. As to where she got the money - as far as I know, there was some kinda celebration and they met, I don't know why she was given the money. Maybe they live far away from the city and weren't going to visit it, maybe she offered to help, I don't know, and to be honest - I don't care. What I do care about is the bottom line, that anyone can snoop on your bank statement by simply clicking a button.

And I'm not worried, I simply do not feel safe. It's a feeling that you are not causing by worrying, it's a feeling that just is there. I also can't pay for everything in cash - most things that I want to buy (and going to soon) are only obtainable online. For example - certain hardware.
My debit card from a major Swiss bank (UBS) is neither of those - it's a Maestro debit card. Whether the cantonal banks in Mullhollander's list would offer Mastercard or Visa I don't know, but I doubt it. Credit cards for those yes, debits no. So you see they may not be that useable outside of Switzerland.

It's only in the last 10 years or so that credit cards have become more widely used in Switzerland. The Swiss, being thrifty people, prefer even now to use cash or debit cards rather than credit cards. It's only recently that Mastercard and Visa have been accepted at stores here, before it was usually only a store's own credit card that you could use there.