View Single Post
Old 12.09.2015, 20:08
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
LegioCorvus has no particular reputation at present
State Taxes for Americans born abroad?

Hi all,

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but I couldn't find any information on it when I tried to search.

So, I'm an American citizen living & working in Switzerland with my wife, who is Swiss, and my son, who is currently only Swiss. We've debated whether or not to get him American citizenship, and there's been a question that's nagging me.

Currently, I still have to pay state taxes in the last state I lived in while in the United States. How would this work for my son, if he has never lived in the U.S.?

My instinct is that he wouldn't have any state taxes, but with the amount of errors I've received in my state tax forms in the last two years, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some automated system that would screw him over. (California just sent me separate tax forms for both my and my wife, on different accounts, with all the same exact information and fees, not including my taxes already paid, and the form addressed to me arrived later as it was incorrectly sent to Svalbard instead of Switzerland.)

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice or help.