View Single Post
Old 16.09.2015, 14:42
Forum Legend

Groaned at 630 Times in 409 Posts
Thanked 6,039 Times in 2,895 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Personal post attracting import tax

Quote:
View Post
Hello and thank you.

I had my mother send over something of mine addressed to the friend that I am staying with in Zurich.

Honest as the day she was born, she filled in the declaration with the value of post $160 AUD - as that is the value of the item.

Swiss post now want to charge me (my friend actually) 30 francs to receive the post.

I have already read up and understand the reasons that they want the 30 francs for commercial imports... but the rule is misapplied in this situation - as this is my property sent to me.

I was thinking either:
1. Going to the post office and explain the situation... that it is personal post of my property. My mother has the same first initial and surname lucky, so I can show passport and license to verify connection to her.

2. Rejecting / ignoring the post and hope they return to sender.

Thoughts / experiences appreciated?????????????

The Post Office act as a collection agency for the powers above. They won't just cancel it because you say so, the process is far more complicated involving various admninistrative bodies.

Reject it, they may send it back but your mother will ay for the return package.

Pay it, chalk it up to expericence and tell your mum to put a value of AUS$25.-- on everything else
This user would like to thank Today only for this useful post: