View Single Post
Old 17.09.2015, 13:23
Forum Legend

Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you HAVE to relinquish your UK drivers license when you get a Swiss one?

Quote:
View Post
People -- You don't "GIVE UP" your UK license. It's simply sent back to the DVLA to look after for you while you have nice valid Swiss license.

You can use your nice valid Swiss license pretty much anywhere in the world while you are Swiss resident, you can still hire cars in the UK and hey lots of places even accept it as valid ID.. and if one day you decide to return to the UK to stay - you simply get your old UK license back from the DVLA - remember they have just been looking after it for you - in case you lost it

It's really very very simple.
Except for that the latest questioner is on a short term contract, staying here only on weekdays and returning to Blighty for the weekend .... so it all comes back to what his residency status is, specifically concerning work contract and permit.
If his contract means that he's here for less than 12 mths., then it's all academic, anyway.

Anyway .... the state my UK licence was in, after 21 years bent and folded in a wallet that I always sat on; when I submitted it here, 15 years ago, I'd be surprised if it hadn't disintergrated by now in a dark, dank storeroom down in Swansea.
This user would like to thank TiMow for this useful post: