View Single Post
Old 02.11.2015, 15:39
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 40 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 1,532 Times in 760 Posts
speakeron has a reputation beyond reputespeakeron has a reputation beyond reputespeakeron has a reputation beyond reputespeakeron has a reputation beyond reputespeakeron has a reputation beyond reputespeakeron has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looking for our stolen bakfiets/cargo bike

Quote:
View Post
Common... that's true for certain student areas where drunk youngsters might decide it is ok to nick an old "below 50 CHF" bike parked on the street to use it to get home. I don't think many Swiss think that stealing valuable bikes is ok.
Well, I was first informed of this by a (Swiss) girlfriend who was a very prim and proper schoolteacher. She said she'd have no hesitation in taking a bike if she needed one late at night (obviously, she didn't go around 'tooled-up' so she was talking about an unlocked bike).

I've also had comments from Swiss friends (non of them drunken students) expressing surprise at the size of the lock I use and the care I take in locking the bike up. There's a general feeling that the insurance will pay for this anyway so it doesn't matter (of course, we all end up paying in that case).

And as to how seriously the cops take this issue: Bicycle stolen - Basel - what to do?

One thing I didn't mention in that story, is that when I first went to the cops they just told me to cut the chain myself (i.e. they told me to steal my own bike back without any verification that it was my bike). I naturally insisted that they did it...

Bike theft in Switzerland is one great big <shrug>.