View Single Post
Old 04.11.2015, 17:26
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
calvin.diebel has no particular reputation at present
Re: Notifying Swiss Tax of Capital Gains when leaving Switzerland

Ok thanks very good to know. Fortunately my positions are not overly sizeable.

I guess it would be in my best interest to hold all my profitable positions until I return to Canada (well at least over 11K). Canada deems you to have acquired your assets on the day you become a resident. Which makes sense as they deem you to have sold and realized all assets on the day you become a non resident.

"When a taxpayer becomes a resident of Canada, he is deemed to have acquired all capital assets, unless specifically excluded, at the fair market value on the date he commences residency. As such, any unrealized but accrued pre-immigration gains would not be subject to Canadian tax when the asset is sold. Similarly, when a taxpayer ceases Canadian residence, he is deemed to have sold all of his capital assets, unless specifically excluded, at fair market value and the resulting taxable capital gain, if any, would be included in his last Canadian tax return. If the individual has not been resident in Canada for more than 60 months, any assets he owned at the time he commenced Canadian residency would be excluded from the departure rules."
This user would like to thank calvin.diebel for this useful post: