View Single Post
Old 07.11.2015, 17:23
Forum Legend

Groaned at 285 Times in 234 Posts
Thanked 15,429 Times in 8,573 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Trading US Stocks while in Switzerland ==> Owe Switzerland Taxes?

Quote:
View Post
To answer the OP, as of today, if this person was an American citizen it is illegal. I know based on personal experience.

For a Swiss to trade US stocks the best way to do it is to trade them on the DAX or other EU exchanges. If you make dividends in the US, they are going to want to tax you on them, and the managing around that might outweigh the value brought by dividends.

The brokers have to report everything each financial quarter. If you are registered here, they will report it. Rules have changed...might want to look into Dodd Frank for tips.

US citizens can trade US securities, the just need to fill in a W9 form.

I prefer to trade US stocks on the US markets, only a small selectors are traded on the DAX priced in Euros. Far from ideal, fees are higher as well

I even trade some UK & Swill stocks as ADR's in the US, zero stamp duty is 1 advantage