View Single Post
Old 15.06.2008, 16:53
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Woodsie has a reputation beyond reputeWoodsie has a reputation beyond reputeWoodsie has a reputation beyond reputeWoodsie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need help with bike, I offer help with cars and computers!

We will need more information. There are over 25 different models of the Matts, and they come with different brands and models of brake. We can only help if we know the brand of brake and happen to be familiar with it.

One thing to try is to remove the wheel. Then with a large, flat bladed screwdriver push the pads apart. Then put the wheel back in and pump the brake lever until the pads are in place again. This should set the brakes at the right gap.

If it still rubs then have a look and see if it is only rubbing on one side. This will mean that the brakes are off centre. The most common way of fixing this is with most calipers if you loosen the mounting bolts you will notice that the holes they go through are elongated allowing the caliper to be moved from side to side. With these bolts loose, squeeze the lever then retighten the bolts. This should centre the caliper and stop the rubbing. Other brakes have small, spacer washers and you have to add or remove washers to centre the brake properly.

I would offer to help in person, but my mum is in town and I am busy this week. If you are still having problems by the weekend I may have some time on the weekend, but won't know until nearer the time.

PS. Can you make my 1998 BMW 540 go even faster?