View Single Post
Old 22.11.2015, 21:46
Forum Legend

Groaned at 86 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 5,788 Times in 2,254 Posts
MrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: All about Muslims (in the wake of terrorist attacks in Europe)

Quote:
View Post
(...)

When I served as an Islamic law research assistant in law school, I was struck by how brilliant prominent Islamic scholars were - on par with those of the Renaissance in their intellectual abilities. However, whilst the great minds of the Renaissance generally applied their intelligence to advancing mankind and liberating it from dogma, the Islamic scholars were sadly dedicated to achieving the exact opposite. It was a view into an alternate history of what things would be like if all of the Renaissance's great minds had been on "the other side of history".
I hope you do consider Ibn Rushd (Averroes)* as the exception...it's actually after his dismissal obtained by the radical scholars that the muslim empire in Andalus collapsed and signaled the end of the hegemony.

*Averroes is often described as the founder of the "secular thought in western europe".