View Single Post
Old 23.11.2015, 03:43
Moderately Amused

Groaned at 87 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 18,847 Times in 8,391 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: German [learning] ... where next?

Quote:
View Post
I've only heard bad things about migros on here... it's put me off a little.
I think it depends on several factors - your learning style, your level going in, the students you're with, and the teacher. I had a good experience in a semi-intensive Migros class. There were 8 students. We met twice a week for 2 hours each time. I think it was for 10 or 12 weeks but I can't remember. Twice a week was frequent enough to keep material fresh, but not so frequent that I was overwhelmed and nothing stuck in my brain.

Regarding grammar, my German grammar is pretty weak but I get by. Migros breaks A1 into beginner, intermediate and advanced levels. I started in the 3rd level of A1 since I'd already had some German in high school (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth). I felt a bit out of place with my grammar in the first few classes, but the teacher keeps stressing it and using examples so you get the idea. Also the book contained all the lessons from the first two levels, so I could go back and do those lessons.

If you feel stuck with your self-learning, the Migros classes are not a bad option and they are more affordable than some of the other schools. Be sure to ask if you can sit in on a lesson to see if it's a good fit for you.