Thread: Train etiquette
View Single Post
Old 23.11.2015, 11:01
Forum Legend

Groaned at 492 Times in 321 Posts
Thanked 4,099 Times in 1,952 Posts
CorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond reputeCorsebouTheReturn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Train etiquette

Quote:
View Post
I was taking the the train home on my normal route and it wasn't crowded. I was sitting up stairs in the first set of seats(these 4 seater seats) on the left. I hear something coming up the stairs steadily and loudly(couldnt see, I was facing away) and then it wanted to sit next to me. It was a woman with a broken foot and crutches! I smiled and moved my bag for her to sit and said "natuerlich" being a bit startled by her injury.

I'm not startled by her but from the fact that she had walked all the way up the stairs to the place where I was sitting and no one even bothered to give up their seat for a woman with a broken foot and crutches! She was huffing and puffing and seemed relived she could finally sit down. Behind me were a group of men in their 30's chatting away, I'm sure they saw the woman! The people sitting in the seats below saw her too I'm sure and could've gotten up. Sadly this is not the first time I have seeing such things and it shouldn't surprise me being in Switzerland.

Do y'all find that sort of thing normal around here? Perhaps I'm an old fashioned woman myself and I give up my seats for the elderly, pregnant women, and disabled.
I'm not trying to reduce your wonderful (and basic) social act.
But I have a bit reaction to the "moved my bag for her"....

In my humble view, it's also train etiquette not to put your bag on an empty seat, especially when the train is busy (as I can interpret in your story).

It's not a storage and it's clearly blocking a seat.
It's not a big deal to ask for sitting there, but you're not the owner and people should not have to ask you for sitting in the public train.

And for the rest of the topic I hate sitting in trains and I always give the seat or help with pram, luggages, etc...
The rest of the topic is full of stereotypes (men vs women, etc...).
The following 6 users would like to thank CorsebouTheReturn for this useful post: