Thread: Train etiquette
View Single Post
Old 23.11.2015, 12:05
Forum Legend

Groaned at 57 Times in 53 Posts
Thanked 12,980 Times in 4,732 Posts
Longbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Train etiquette

Quote:
View Post
In my humble view, it's also train etiquette not to put your bag on an empty seat, especially when the train is busy (as I can interpret in your story).
It's not a storage and it's clearly blocking a seat.
It's not a big deal to ask for sitting there, but you're not the owner and people should not have to ask you for sitting in the public train.
I agree entirely. Sure I put my bag beside me if the train is really empty and no-one is still coming into the compartment but at each stop I take it back onto my knee if there is any chance of someone wanting to sit down. And I move it long before they get to where I am sitting. I NEVER wait to be asked. Many people would rather stand than ask for the seat to be cleared.

I think this a very basic problem - with the older generation in particular. They (we!) were expected as children to see if another person needed a seat, a helping hand or whatever. And now we are older, we tend to say "But anyone could see that I wanted to sit down, couldn't manage on my own..." We are not very good at asking and not always gracious in saying thank-you either. After all, we spent enough years on the 'giving' end! Just as Oldies hate asking Social Services for Ergänzungsleistungen (extra financial help) although we may be entitled to it. Now we want to be on the 'getting' end, but deeply resent having to beg for it.