View Single Post
Old 28.11.2015, 21:12
Moderately Amused

Groaned at 93 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 20,286 Times in 8,971 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why are tenants actively involved in finding new tenant?

Many leases have at least a 3-month notice period. In some cantons or cities, you also can only move in certain months. I think in Zurich it's March, June and September, but I could be wrong. Someone from the area will chime in soon.

If a renter wants to get out of the contract early, or outside of the specific moving dates, then he or she has to actively help find a new tenant. In the German-speaking part this is called a Nachmieter.

As for 30-50 people dancing around your apartment, housing is pretty tight here. It's not uncommon to have a few dozen applicants for every flat. I suppose the question is, do you want to hold an open house on your own and see who is dancing around your flat? Or do you want the landlord to do it and not know who's dancing. In some cases, the landlord will charge you for advertising the flat.

Edit - Medea explains it far better than I can so pay attention to her post.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 28.11.2015 at 21:26.
The following 4 users would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post: