Thread: batata doce
View Single Post
Old 28.11.2015, 23:12

Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
peebix is considered knowledgeablepeebix is considered knowledgeablepeebix is considered knowledgeable
batata doce

I saw today that Coop has now got organic sweet potatoes. They are Portuguese - batate doce - and have dark purple skin but, when I cut them up, I was surprised to find yellow interior. I'm attaching a googled image although the Coop ones are more dark purple outside and more yellow inside.

They are delicious. I was thinking they would be similar taste to regular sweet potato but the texture is different. It manages to simultaneously be a bit more crumbly as well as creamy, than ordinary sweet potatoes. They steamed super fast, by the time I gave them a check, they were already quite cooked. I have a feeling that frying would be perfect, maybe a frypan full of batata doce crisps. Are there any Portuguese EF-ers out there with national recipes?

The downside is the price - CHF 9 per kg. But I would actually buy them again, not everyday, but say for a weekend meal because the taste is great.
Attached Thumbnails
batata-doce-batata-doce.jpg  
This user would like to thank peebix for this useful post: