View Single Post
Old 29.11.2015, 08:11
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 41 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 1,172 Times in 575 Posts
Aeneas has a reputation beyond reputeAeneas has a reputation beyond reputeAeneas has a reputation beyond reputeAeneas has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Would claiming unemployment benefit affect B permit renewal or upgrade to C permi

Quote:
View Post
Social benefits is NOT Rav.....!
This is an important point as in many (European) countries unemployment insurance and social welfare are the same thing or at least managed under the same system. Not so in Switzerland.

Signing up to the RAV (and receiving Arbeitslosengeld) is something you have to pay into for a minimum of 12 months, after which you get to potentially draw a finite amount of money in return. It's not considered a big deal by most Swiss, who will have had to go on this at some stage in their lives.

Sozialhilfe
is something that's actually quite hard to qualify for, as you really have to be close to broke before they'll give you a rappen and is seen as something, by Swiss, that you'd need to be pretty low on the food chain to get. It's also open ended, in that you can, and some do, receive it for decades and does not require you pay into the system.

When I went for my C permit, I wasn't asked anything about any of the insurances, but was asked to get a letter from the Sozialhilfe stating I'd received nothing from them in the previous two years. So, at least in canton Zurich, having received unemployment insurance should make no difference to your application for a B renewal or a C.
The following 2 users would like to thank Aeneas for this useful post: