View Single Post
Old 08.12.2015, 17:41
Forum Legend

Groaned at 284 Times in 232 Posts
Thanked 24,731 Times in 10,450 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to declare UK apartments on Swiss tax return

I have a holiday house in Spain and co-own a house in Germany.

I asked the Zürich tax office what to do, and they said, I should write a letter saying (and including the exact words) "nach bestem wissen und gewissen" in which I should state what I believe to be the fair value providing some backing up for my guesstimate.

For the German property I used the purchase price, which I do to the best of my knowledge still believe to be the fair value. I specifically state this in my letter.

For the Spanish property I also pay property tax to the commune in Spain and I show the bill for that to the Swiss tax authorities (albeit the previous year's one as they don't normally send out bills until the following October) and the Zürich tax office accepts the Spanish value estimate as fair.

All I do every year is retrieve that letter on my computer, update the date, look up the exchange rate for 1st January and re-adjust any conversions, print it out, and stick those values onto my tax form and send in the letter (signed) with the tax form.

So far they've never quibbled over my approach
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post: