View Single Post
Old 17.12.2015, 09:13
Forum Legend

Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Thanked 12,189 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Logistics of selling a car privately to someone in a different canton

Quote:
View Post
But do I need to take the plates back to the Services des Automobiles or can I just put them in the bin?

To make things easier for the buyer (and hence quicker for me) I'm happy for him to drive it to the Vaud Services des Automobiles on my plates (I know his name, workplace etc). When he gets his own plates can he then leave my Geneva plates with the Vaud Services des Automobiles or just chuck them away? Or do we need to meet up again so I can get my plates back (which is obviously a hassle I'd like to avoid if possible)?
Plates aren't a consumable, to be disposed of, and are always assigned to a driver and not a car.

Those plates will be forever recorded against your name, with you having full liability for what ever happens in any vehicle using those plates - until you return them and have them de-registered.
They will then be assigned to another new driver, plus you may be eligible for an insurance refund, which you will only receive once they are returned.

Returned plates are a bonus in my Kanton, because low numbers, implies oldies, having had the same plates for decades and struggling to cope with modern traffic = DANGER; and high numbers means newly qualified or newly arrived auslanders, who can struggle in traffic, here = DANGER.
Mid-range numbers = anonymous, calm and steady.
The following 2 users would like to thank TiMow for this useful post: