View Single Post
Old 07.01.2016, 18:50
Forum Legend

Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pellet or Wood burning stove ?

In both houses in which I've lived, I've installed wood burners - but as a secondary, back-up, in case main heating system fails or continued power outage.

In the first house, which was old and relatively small with low ceilings, we used it occasionally just for the 'look' of a wood burning stove, but every time, I had to open all the windows and only put on a couple of logs. We all ended up with red heads.
It was the smallest oven we could find, and had tiles on the side, which retained heat (as did the metal housing).

In my current house, which has double the floor space as the first and much higher ceilings, I bought a mid size oven from Bauhaus for under a grand, and similarly, it has been hardly used, because it puts out too much heat.
I think this one has internal heat bricks, which retain the heat and gradually release it after the fire has gone out - plus the metal housing, again.

I have experience of pellet ovens only through my work place, which uses one, and I noticed that at my daughter's school there was a fresh pellet delivery the other day - so they obviously have one, too.
I don't know if this implies that they are particularly effective when large areas need to be heated, despite pellet ovens being available for domestic use.

I'm sure you're aware and have taken it into account but you obviously need an outlet for smoke - usually a metal pipe which can installed independently, or contained within an existing chimney - I've done both.
An independent metal pipe will need to be enclosed in a heat proof and fire-resistant casing, if it runs exposed through upstairs rooms.
This user would like to thank TiMow for this useful post: