View Single Post
Old 22.01.2016, 14:18
Forum Legend

Groaned at 291 Times in 236 Posts
Thanked 24,891 Times in 10,517 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
Perhaps not the platforms for structural nor post-structural feminism, but she could alter how it is perceived by the public.

The Merkel as "Mutti" sentiment struck me as weird. She doesn't have any children, and am not sure she truly understands the experience of being a real mother. The refugee topic kind of strikes me as some sort of over compensation for it. I'm not sure how natural it is, and I don't know how motherly she really is for Deutschland.
I remember one occasion when there had been an accident of some sort. Maybe it was a plane or train crash or maybe it was a terrorist bomb, I can't remember. Anyway Mrs Thatcher went to visit survivors in the hospital and did all the holding people's hands and listening to them routine. Then she got criticised over that as the opposition accused her of electioneering by pretending to be compassionate.

Sometimes politics is a damned if you do and damned if you don't game. In this type of situations its maybe tougher on women as you don't really expect male politicians to handle compassion in that way.
The following 4 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post: