View Single Post
Old 22.01.2016, 16:46
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 30 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 1,100 Times in 331 Posts
smileygreebins has a reputation beyond reputesmileygreebins has a reputation beyond reputesmileygreebins has a reputation beyond reputesmileygreebins has a reputation beyond reputesmileygreebins has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
It seems Thatcher blazed a trail for women in power, from politics to board rooms. May not have been her own doing, may have just been in the fullness of time. But certainly inspired a generation of women to aspire rather than fantasize.
How interesting. I would never have regarded Maggie as an advocate for feminism, and that's not why I admired her.

I just loved that she seemed to mean what she said. That in a sea of "sit on the fence political leaders", she was prepared to be tough and stand the courage of her convictions. That she didn't apologise for being British. That she didn't apologise for tough decisions. Whether they were the right ones or not is indeed another argument entirely.

I just loved that she just made things happen, rather than pussy-footing about for her terms to secure the popular vote. She struck me as a human bulldozer, and personally, I like that style.

That was my opinion of Merkel until recently. The fact that she's a woman, having to endure the cheap shots on her appearance and sexuality and being child-less actually made me more impressed at her outward strength.

But now that you raise the feminist angle, I can see that yes, Maggie was actually an inspiration to me - to know that I could do more than just be a typist and get married and have children and look after a husband for the rest of my days - which is exactly the future that my multi generation labor voting blue collar family had planned for me at that time.
The following 4 users would like to thank smileygreebins for this useful post: