View Single Post
Old 25.01.2016, 15:04

Groaned at 22 Times in 17 Posts
NomadAmericano is considered knowledgeableNomadAmericano is considered knowledgeableNomadAmericano is considered knowledgeable
Re: Do you believe in Merkel?

Quote:
View Post
There just aren't enough hours in the day to recount all the reasons I hated her, and I do realise that hate is a very strong word, but I did.

This isn't a matter of where you came from in the U.K., though it's a very strong factor, it's also a case of which part of a particular town or city you lived in, family background, impact upon your family, what you witnessed first hand, etc...

My brother (a now retired barrister) left uni with his law degree and couldn't get any work for 18mths. He even had his name down for a job on the bins, but the waiting list was over 2yrs long.

I was out of work for 2 solid years, which is completely against my nature and the work ethic I was raised with. I sold all my books, records, etc, arranged interviews in London, Brighton, etc and went home with nothing. My only way out was to go self-employed when I turned 21.

I saw the miners strikes first hand. My cousin left the police because of the brutality he witnessed and was ordered to use against the miners. I walked through the streets of Toxteth the day after the riots. I knew families who had three generations made redundant on the same day, and that is still happening today. My aunt was a district nurse and visited quite a few familes who literally had no money for food. She used to take baby food and baby clothes to one young woman she knew who was recently widowed with 3 kids, and the baby's crib was a drawer.

'Boys From The Black Stuff' was real in the town I lived in and in all the neighbouring towns. If you ever care to learn the other side of what Thatcher did to my country, I strongly suggest you watch that series.

Edit: I'd be interested to know which part of the country you're from? No need to be exact.
What you and your people had to go through was terrible. Sadly, such disruption was also inevitable. To paraphrase an economist: When something can't go on forever, it won't. Such is the situation we live in now (although less dramatic and concentrated in one point in time), where the generation just before us has been able to cash in on generous pensions and the appreciation of their homes. None of that cash and equity will be waiting for us upon our retirements (at least in the US and most of the West - maybe the UK will be different somehow).
This user would like to thank NomadAmericano for this useful post: